Traffic Stop Leads Illinois State Troopers To Significant Drug Bust | Crime
Illinois State Police discovered 72 pounds of cannabis during a routine traffic stop on Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011. ISP stopped a white 2012 Chevrolet Malibu for speeding on Interstate 70 heading eastbound near Highland, Illinois. During the conversation with the driver, the Trooper observed suspicious behavior. As a precaution, an ISP K-9 was called. The dog positively alerted to the presence of an illegal substance.
When the car was searched, three black duffle bags containing 72 pounds of cannabis were located in the trunk of the car. The value of the drugs is estimated at $359,000.
The driver, Thomas Arthur Debakker Jr., 27, of Aptos, California was arrested for cannabis trafficking and is currently being held at Madison County jail on $200,000 bond.
On August 29 and again on September 24 ISP Troopers stopped vehicles for traffic violations and discovered a total of 743 pounds of cannabis worth $3.4 million.
Top Madison - Jersey County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fitch Upgrades St. Louis' Lambert Bonds, Improves Financial Rating
- Mother Stomped On 14-Year-Old Daughter; Blood Found In Girl's Urine
- Police Find Man with Stolen Credit Cards and a Wad of Cash
- Teen Battle of the Bands Returns to County Library
- 2 Ferguson-Florissant Teachers Honored by Science Center Award